Vegetable Biryani (Dum Subz Biryani)
This delicious Biryani (spiced rice dish) is the perfect main meal and a classic Indian restaurant favourite. ”Dum” refers to a slow cooking method where the ingredients are placed in a pot that is tightly sealed with dough, preventing the steam from escaping. The steam helps the spices infuse the rice, creating a wonderful aromatic flavour.
RECIPE CALLS FOR
Tikka Masala Spice Paste
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tbsp oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2” root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Patak’s® Tikka Masala Spice Paste, divided
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- ⅓ cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup baby corn, halved lengthwise
- ⅓ cup asparagus tips, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup button mushrooms, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh assorted exotic mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped and divided
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped and divided
- ¼ cup mixed dried mushrooms
- 1” piece of cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of saffron strands
- 2 tbsp unsalted cashew nuts, halved
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven at 400°F (205°C).
- Rinse and drain the rice. In a pan, heat the oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and drain on absorbent paper.
- In the same oil, sauté the red onion for 5 min.
- Add the garlic, green chili and ginger, and cook for 1 min.
- Add 3 tbsp of Patak’s® Tikka Masala Spice Paste and cook 2 min.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 4 min.
- Add the yogurt and cook for 2 min.
- Add the baby carrots, baby corn, asparagus tips, button and exotic mushrooms.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little water.
- Simmer for 1 min and remove from heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of coriander and 1 tbsp of mint.
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the rice, put the rice in a large pan with the dried mushrooms, cinnamon stick, green cardamom pods, bay leaves, saffron and 1 tbsp of Patak’s® Tikka Masala Spice Paste. Cover the rice with boiling water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 8 min or until the rice is just tender, but with a little bite. Drain and discard the whole spices.
- Grease a casserole dish (or other ovenproof dish) with 1 tbsp of oil and add a layer of rice.
- Sprinkle some coriander, mint, ginger, cashew nuts and sultanas.
- Add a layer of the vegetable masala and then sprinkle more coriander and mint.
- Repeat the layering until all the rice and vegetable masala has been used.
- Finish with a sprinkle of coriander, mint, cashew nuts and sultanas, topped with the fried sliced onions.
- In a bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, salt and some water to form a dough.
- Shape into a long roll and press it along the edge of the dish.
- Place the lid firmly on top and heat on medium heat on the rack for 2 min (to start the steam cooking process).
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 min.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 min before breaking the dough seal.