Saffron Semolina Pudding (Semiya Kheer)
Is there anything better than a delicious meal that’s easy to make? You’ll be surprised at what a little help from Patak’s® can do!
- 1 ½ tsp ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- 10 to 15 raisins
- 10 to 15 cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 ¼ cups wheat semolina
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- Pinch of saffron strands
- Almonds, slivered (garnish)
- Heat the ghee or oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the raisins and cashews, and cook 2 min.
- Add the semolina, reduce the heat and cook for 2 to 3 min, stirring.
- Add the sugar while stirring.
- Add the milk and saffron, and cook over low to medium heat while whisking.
- When the mixture begins to thicken and the semolina is cooked, remove from heat and let sit.
- Garnish with almond slivers and serve warm.
Place sweet, unsalted butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan on low heat. Simmer until the butter melts completely, stirring often. Continue to simmer until the butter stops crackling and the milky solids turn brown and either cling to the sides of the pan or fall to the bottom. As soon as the solids turn brown, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the burner. Let the residue settle to the bottom of the pan then strain the clear butter fat or ‘ghee’ through a cheesecloth. You can also find ready-made ghee in most Indian grocery stores or markets.