Mussels and Shrimp in Light Curry
Looking for an Indian recipe that’s going to impress your guests without requiring hours over a hot stove? This one is always a hit, with rich, creamy mild curry flavours. Served with the fluffiest rice and a wedge of warm naan, this is comfort food at its finest.
RECIPE CALLS FOR
Mild Curry Spice Paste
- 2 lb cleaned mussels
- 10 shrimp, cleaned and shelled
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 tbsp Patak’s® Mild Curry Spice Paste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 5 stalks thyme leaves, stems discarded
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- ⅓ medium fennel bulb, julienned
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 can (425 g) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sherry or dry white wine
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, 10%
- In a large pot on medium heat, add oil and bacon and cook until it starts to crisp, 5-7 min.
- Add garlic, onions, fennel, carrots and thyme and simmer until softened, about 5 min.
- Rinse mussels with cold water and remove any beards; place in bowl.
- Add Patak’s® Mild Curry Spice Paste, stir and simmer 2 min to release the paste flavours.
- Add sherry and shrimp; simmer until shrimp cooks, 2 min.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Slowly pour cream into pot while stirring.
- Add mussels and simmer until shells open – discard any mussels that do not open.
- Serve with your favourite baguette.
For more broth, add 1 cup of fish or chicken stock.