Madras Chickpea Curry (slow cooker)
Our Chickpea Curry is quick, easy and loaded with flavour—chili, garlic and 11 punchy spices from our Madras Curry Paste. There really is nothing more satisfying than this warming dish!
RECIPE CALLS FOR
Madras Spice Paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 jar Patak’s® Madras Spice Paste
- ½ green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 ¼ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (540 ml) cooked chickpeas
- Salt, to taste
- ½ lemon, juice of
- Fresh coriander, chopped and divided (garnish)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the onions and fry on medium heat for 3 to 5 min.
- Add the garlic puree, Patak’s® Madras Spice Paste, green chili (if using) and cumin powder and cook for 2 to 3 min.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 to 8 min.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for another 5 min.
- Adjust the seasoning. Stir in the lemon juice and some of the coriander, reserving a little for garnish.
Slow cooker method
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions until light golden brown (about 3 to 4 min).
- Add the Patak’s® Madras Spice Paste and sauté for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 min.
- Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and cook on high for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with warm naan bread.
You might also like
Do you love entertaining, but find you’re always serving the same appetizers? Try this: start with plain yogurt as a base for...
Curried Pulled Pork with Brioche Buns
A simple curried pulled pork recipe, using tikka masala spices to inject some warmth and flavour into this classic dish. Packed into...
Butter Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Packed with yummy chickpeas and served with a drizzle of fresh green chutney, these stuffed sweet potatoes are next level!
Mango Chicken is a perfect alternative to a mild Korma or a Pasanda Cooking Sauce—sweet and flavoursome, with the flavours of Indian...
Korma is a perfect alternative to a mild Mango Chicken or a Pasanda Cooking Sauce—sweet and flavoursome, with the flavours of Indian...
Korma Vegetable Stack with Mattar
This delightful korma vegetable stack only uses a few simple ingredients, but creates scrumptious flavours for the whole family to enjoy.
Is there anything better than a delicious meal that’s easy to make? You’ll be surprised at what a little help from Patak’s® can...
Keralan Seafood Tikka
Kerala is a state located in the south-west of India. It has a distinctive and varied cuisine with coconut and black pepper...
Matar paneer is a delicious dish made by cooking paneer and peas in a Tikka Masala Curry. This recipe will give you...
An easy and delicious recipe for Indian Mulligatawny Soup with carrots, apples, lentils, and fresh coriander.
Delicious and flavourful curry made with red kidney beans, made easy with a multifunction pressure cooker!
Poached Egg and Masala Beans on...
This egg dish is perfect for breakfast or a weekend brunch. Curry leaves add some aromatic flavours to this dish, which is...
Every time we take a mouthful of this deliciously creamy and flavoursome dish, we remember all over again why it is so...
Paneer Pepper Mild Curry Masala
This multifunction pressure cooker favourite is a quick way to bring the flavours of India to your kitchen.
Masala Akoori on Brioche
This scrambled egg dish is perfect for breakfast or a weekend brunch. Green chilies add some spice to the flavours of Mild...
Hyderabadi Lamb Biryani
A curry filled to the brim with aromatic flavour. The succulent and juicy lamb tastes amazing paired with our Madras Curry Paste....
Seafood Risotto with Parmesan Crisps
Enjoy this delicious mix of seafood, fresh tomatoes and Parmesan crisps, with a unique Indian twist.
Chicken Tikka Penne Pasta
A simple twist on an Italian dish! Quick and easy to make and full of aromatic spices. Tikka Masala Curry Paste brings...
Cauliflower Curry (Gobi Mussallam)
Another goodie for your slow cooker. This vegetarian recipe uses our two most popular Spice Pastes—Tikka Masala and Korma—to combine the delicate...