Is there anything better than a delicious meal that’s easy to make? You’ll be surprised at what a little help from Patak’s® can do!
RECIPE CALLS FOR
Mild Curry Sauce
- 1 ½ cup dried chickpeas
- 2 bags of black tea
- 8 ½ cups water
- 2 black cardamom pods (optional)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ piece of ginger, finely chopped
- ½ green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Patak’s® Mild Curry Cooking Sauce
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander, chopped (garnish)
- Place the chickpeas and tea bags in the water, cover and soak overnight.
- Remove the tea bags and cook the chickpeas in the soaking liquid, adding the black cardamom pods, green cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 to 2 hours, until the chickpeas are cooked.
- Skim off any foam that has formed on the surface.
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve the cooking liquid. Discard the spices.
- In a pan, heat the oil on medium and add the cumin seeds.
- Once they begin to sizzle, add the garlic, ginger and green chili (if using).
- Sauté for 1 min before adding the onions. Cook for 5 min or until golden.
- Stir in the Patak’s® Mild Curry Cooking Sauce. If the mixture starts to stick to the pan, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.
- After 3 min, add the tomatoes and sugar. Cook for 5 min and add the cooked chickpeas.
- Add ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, cover and cook for 10 min.
- Adjust the seasoning. Remove from heat, stir in the yogurt and the lime juice.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot.
This tastes great with tinned cooked chickpeas as well. Simply boil a tea bag in 600ml (1 pint) of hot water and use this water as your cooking liquid. You will need two (400g) cans of chickpeas.